The school actively encourages children to learn further through homework. Each class teacher will establish a homework routine for their class. The tasks set are designed to support learning and to give practice in basic skills.
Examples of homework are:
- Reading / sharing a book with a member of the family – this is particularly important for Infant children
- Reading / for pleasure
- Spellings or tables to learn, usually for a test
- Handwriting practice
- Learning “words” or songs for a performance
- Research for a Topic
- Completing work
We hope that parents/carers will encourage their child(ren) to complete the task and help and support when appropriate. Class teachers are always willing to discuss ways in which parents/carers might help their children.
For further information please take a look at our Homework Policy.
Home learning should never be too onerous nor should it ever create stress within the pupil’s family. If parents have any concerns they should not hesitate to contact the school. Daily practice is to be encouraged e.g. reading, spelling and times tables but there is no recommended guidance on the amount of time a child needs to spend on their home learning.
Role of Parents
- To support the school by ensuring that their child attempts their home learning
- To provide a suitable place for their child to carry out their home learning
- To encourage and praise their child when they have completed their home learning
- To become actively involved and support their child with home learning activities
- To make it clear that they value home learning and they support the school by explaining how it can help learning
Homework 'Bingo' Grids have been designed to support pupils and parents. They provide a range of activities that can bee completed over the five weeks of a main topic; other activities may be suggested for 'off plan' weeks.
The recommendation is to complete at least two tasks per week; in addition to reading. Completing additional tasks allows a pupil to fill their homework bingo grid and gain additional house points.
Homework - Term 1, 2 & 3 2021/22
Homework - 2020/21