Severe Weather Guidance
Please find below an outline of the schools plans and advice for parents in the event of severe weather conditions such as heavy snowfall.
“Schools should, wherever possible, stay open in severe weather. They play a key role in their communities and by staying open help both their pupils and parents.”
Department for Education
Severe Snow and Ice Plan for Parents and Families
Every winter brings the possibility of snow and ice. Extreme bad weather can cause widespread and prolonged disruption. Schools are often affected and it can be difficult to maintain an education service. As a fundamental principle every effort must be made to keep schools open, even if only limited numbers of pupils can attend. However schools may close due to ‘unavoidable’ circumstances. Those circumstances being that it is no longer safe for staff or pupils to be onsite or travel to the site. We recognise that it is important that our school remains open so parents are able to work and pupils can continue to learn. Mundella Primary School will make every effort to prepare for severe snow/ice this winter by gritting pathways, clearing access points and making the site as safe as possible.
How will we let you me know if the school is closed?
If we do experience severe snow/ice resulting in hazardous conditions, our I may have to take the decision to close the school. Once this decision has been made we will notify parents via a text message if you have provided us with your contact details and also via the school website and the Kent Closures website.
If you do not receive a text message or you are unable to use this means of communication then please use one of the facilities we have in place to notify you of any school closures:
- Visit the school website www.mundella.kent.sch.uk and check the homepage for any updates during severe weather conditions.
- Visit www.kentclosures.co.uk. Search for Mundella Primary School in the search box. The Kent Closures website can also be used to find out if other services in Kent are open or closed, such as nurseries, children’s centres and libraries. You may also wish to sign up for SMS/ Email alerts on the Kent Closures website. This service will send an SMS or email alert to let parents know if Mundella is closed.
- Parents can also listen to KMFM, BBC Radio Kent or Heart FM to hear if the school has closed.
What can you do to help?
Please visit www.kent.gov.uk/winter for more information about gritting routes and travel issues around Kent so you can plan your journey.
• In the unlikely event that our catering team would be unable to provide a school meal, parents would be informed via the website and a text message at the earliest opportunity. Parents would then need to provide a packed lunch.
• Don’t forget suitable warm clothing – gloves, hats, scarves, wellies etc. or even a change of clothing.
• If you are a working parent or feel you may have a problem with a sudden earlier pick up, please could you put a back-up plan in place with another family member or parent and inform the school. This will allow staff to leave earlier for their safety if weather dictates.
Many thanks for your support in helping Mundella Primary School remain open during periods of severe snow/ice.